Saturday, March 15, 2014

Fantasy Rugby: Last Rd of 6 Nations


It is the last round of games for the 6 Nations this weekend. So its the last chance for those of us with Fantasy teams to make changes and improve our final position. I'm not too badly placed in three of the four fantasy games this year (testrugby.com really never did it for me). In an effort to gain as many places in this last three games, I'm going to take a gamble!
Wales are heavy favourites, and righty so, at home to Scotland. They should end the campaign with a win, so get Welsh players in your side this week. Keep in mind though, coach Warren Gatland has made 6 changes from the side which lost at Twickenham. So make sure you get in players who are starting.
England are big favourites away to Italy. An English win and an Irish loss should see England take the title. Also, England are the only team to have never lost to the Italians since they joined the 6 Nations. So history is also against Italy today. But with all that in mind, I'm going to stick my neck out and go for an Italian upset here. A win should lift them out of the wooden spoon placing, they basically threw the game away to Ireland last week with this game in mind, and they must be determined to finally achieve a victory over the English. All this being said, they have only made 3 changes from the side that was so abysmal at the Aviva Stadium just a week ago. Nevertheless, I'm going with at least three Italians in my side.
The last game of the day is in France. Where if Ireland can win they will likely take the championship (their aggregate score difference is 60pts better than the nearest team, it would take a huge swing for them to lose it if they somehow ended up tied with England). A lot is being made of this being Brian O'Driscoll's last international before retirement. But apart from flashes against a , mostly, disinterested Italian side, he hasn't done much in this championship. I hope I'm wrong, but Ireland can be notorious choke artists when it comes to big games (look at New Zealand game last autumn, or every world cup!), plus the last time they won in France was 2000, before that it was 1972! France might not be playing well, but they are winning games and that's all that matters. It would be typical France if while playing as badly as they have been, they somehow still win the Championship. France would need to better England's result earlier in the day to do this, but at least they will be going into the game knowing what they have to do. With all this in mind, I'm stuffing my fantasy team with plenty of French players, and hardly any Irish. I genuinely hope I'm wrong, but I can't see France losing at home.
So this Saturday, I'm going with the longshot of Italy, Wales, France all to win. This would mean France taking home the title. I felt I needed to take a chance in an effort move up the fantasy tables. Either way, I'll be glued to my television for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment